Thursday, July 22, 2010

Foundations 1 Class

This is a backlogged report on the first cooking class I experienced at the CCA. It included 6 weeks of learning what I suppose are the basics. It's amazing how much you can cram in over a 6-week period.

I learned the following:
Basic Knife Cuts (You would not believe how many different shapes and sizes you can cut something into.)

How to make stock (...like a chicken or vegetable broth but old-school with real ingredients and no boillon cubes.)

The 5 mother sauces and how to make them - hollandaise, bechamell, veloute, espangole and tomato sauce

How to make mayonnaise

Basic soups and how to make them - clear, vegetable, cream, specialty, etc.

The 6 different cooking techniques, also known as Les Cuisons - Frying, Grilling, Roasting, Sauteing, Poaching, Braising

We got to make and eat all of the above, which is an interesting experience in school. I remember in 2nd grade we made applesauce and got to eat applesauce all through class. This was a similar experience except we were eating things like poached salmon with hollandaise and fried chicken strips with french fries. I have to admit, I think I gained about 10 pounds during this set of classes. But boy was it yummy.

It's interesting coming out of this class and knowing that now I can pretty much prepare any kind of sauce and cook any kind of meat. I can't imagine learning much more, really. But I have almost a year and a half to go....so I guess we'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment